Packing for your Move
1. Keep the following supplies handy for packing: Boxes, marking pen, bubble wrap, newspaper and tissue, tape and scissors.
2. Use strong boxes and containers that can be secured tightly. Purchase special boxes for dishes, wardrobe and other special items. You can get all your boxes and packing materials from Moves Boxes.
3. Pack audio-video equipment in their original boxes. Label cables and tighten transit screws. If removing screws, tape them to the objects they are removed from.
4. Place heavier items on bottom and lighter items on top.
5. Pack heavy items in small boxes, and light items in larger boxes. Avoid loading more than 50 pounds into one box.
6. Label each box and indicate the following:
(a) Which room it should go in
(b) Whether it is fragile
(c) The priority of the contents.
High priority boxes should be unloaded first: the kitchen box with the can opener and toaster; the bedroom box with your sheets and pillowcases. Leave low priority boxes for after the rush. Additionally, you may want to pack one box with moving essentials like handtools and extension cords, as well as cleaning supplies.
7. Cushion contents with packing material such as bubble wrap, newspaper or tissue. Save room by using towels and blankets to wrap fragile items.
8. Protect finished surfaces with paper to avoid mars and scratches.
9. Pack books tightly on end in small boxes. If musty smelling, sprinkle talcum powder between the pages and wrap the book before packing. Leave stored for a couple of months to eliminate the smell.
10. Have rugs and draperies cleaned before moving and leave them in wrappings for the move.
11. Pack medicines in a leak proof container.
12. Don’t overload chests and dressers with clothing and linen items. This could cause furniture joints to separate and collapse.
13. Pack a safe or fireproof box with important records such as birth & marriage certificates, medical records, school records, passports, credit card & banking records, tax returns, etc.
14. Bring any valuables with you.
Hire professionals to help you pack your items securely. You will also gain greater peace of mind as your belongings are delivered to your new home damage free and in one piece. Send Moves your details and we will give you a quick quote.